Whether you have a simple or surgical extraction, It usually takes a few days to fully recover.
We will provide you with more specific instructions based on your individual health needs, but in general:
- Keep pressure on the gauze pad that was placed over the extraction area by gently biting down. Do this for as long as necessary until the bleeding lessens. Change the gauze pad as needed.
- Be careful not to bite the inside of your cheek, your tongue, or your lips while your mouth is still numb.
- To keep down any swelling after your procedure, place an ice pack on the facial area near your extraction.
- Sleep/rest with your head elevated.
- Avoid spitting and drinking through a straw, both of which can dislodge the blood clot, making you more susceptible to getting a dry socket.
- Avoid rinsing your mouth out for the first 24 hours after your procedure. Afterwards, you can use a saltwater solution to gently rinse your mouth after meals.
- Take any prescribed medications exactly as directed.
- Limit Physical activity the rest of the day and go easy for the next few days.
- Sleep with your head elevated.
- Avoid taking aspirin. Ibuprofen is usually recommended.
- Avoid carbonated beverages and alcoholic drinks.
- Avoid smoking for at least 72 hours.
- Don’t touch or “tongue” your empty tooth socket.
- When the numbness has gone away, drink plenty of fluids, eat soft foods, and chew on the opposite side of the mouth from the extraction site.
- As soon as it’s comfortable, you can resume brushing and flossing as usual. Be gentle around the area that is healing.
If you follow our aftercare instructions, most of the major healing is complete within 2 weeks following your extraction.
Call our office if you show signs of infection such as:
- Fever, chills, nausea, or vomiting.
- Pain isn’t decreasing after a few days.
- Red streaks running from the face in the area of your extraction.
- Swelling, redness, and excessive drainage from the extraction site.
Let us know if you have any questions. Our friendly team is here to help make your recovery as speedy and comfortable as possible!